My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Caturday Food Art: Good and Bad

THE GOOD
Dad says mom's Potato salad is a work of art.... this is her special potato salad bowl.

It is huge.  She always makes enough to almost fill the bowl.

Yellow arrows indicate the line where the potato salad was before two
piggies ate 1/2 of it.


No matter where I am when mom starts to peel the boiled eggs I come running and meowing
and doing the boiled egg dance.....




I always get a taste of boiled eggs before she starts mixing all the other stuff in it.
I like the yolk and the egg white....
Cluck cluck


Mom doesn't have a recipe.......she has a taster...Dad
She starts out with 4 boiled eggs and about 10 new potatoes
quartered and boiled.  Both are refrigerated and very cold before she mixes.
If you mix when the taters are hot it turns into mash potato salad.
Then she mixes all of these to taste: mayo, sweet pickle relish, onions, mustard
salt and pepper then she goes stir(ring) crazy.
Once mixed she calls in the Taster Dad.  

THE BAD
Recently mom entered a recipe contest over at Teddy, One Spoiled Cat's blog.
Miss Dingleberry the cafeteria cook at Ding Dong School gave us 3 photos and asked us to pick one and then 'create' a recipe.  Here is the photo mom selected and her recipe.



Dear Ms. Dingleberry below please find my disgustingly delicious recipe and photo.  Just a wee bit of why we chose this photo:  MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM 150% dislikes tomato aspic, it used to be served lots when she was a child.  This kinda reminds her of it but a different color.  So in her mind's eye here we go!!

Mock Congealed eye of Newt aspic
2 jars of halved olives (the eyes)
1 jar of lime juice to make sure it is very bitter
2 envelopes lime jello for color
1 cup warm water about 5 ice cubes

Directions combine the lime juice, jello and warm water
stir til dissolved.  Add ice cubes to start the chill.
Place mixture in the freezer for ~20 minutes or until it starts to congeal.
Remove from freeze now stir in the halve olives.  Pour mixture into a jello mold, refrigerate for 3 or 4 hours.
You can tell it is ready when you giggle it and the olives move about like eyeballs.  Turn out onto a bed of lettuce 
serve as a disgustingly delicious side dish or a main dish with mozzarella cheese ball tarts on the plate.
hints:  the lime juice and sweet jello give it the sweet and sour taste.

Bon Appetite 

We did not win the disgustingly delicious recipe contest but we rec'd a disgustingly adorable button.




Thanks Teddy and Mom for this fun event and for the disgustingly adorable award....

22 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    hehehehe, that recipe actually made me grimace!!! Meanwhile, tattie salad...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... one of my secret passions! Hugs and whiskeries, YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your potato salad looks so much more yummy than that nasty tomato aspic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the disgusting part of the recipe. I would not eat yours or the one in the photo... uck! aspic is horrible to me. uck! again... also Mom would have to do what my mother did when making potato salad, mix it all up and dip mine out before adding the onions. she always put these same ingredients in except the onions, put some in a bowl for me and my brother, then added the onions for her and daddy.... can't pick the onions out because it leaves the taste in it. if bob slices and onion and then slices a piece of tomato for me with that same knife, I scream loudly becaue I can taste the onion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we would much prefer the potato salad. You all have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had no idea felines liked eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That potato salad sounds delish but your jello salad sure sounded disgusting. The competition must have been tough for you not to win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We put black olives in tuna casserole. That's the best part! We haven't had home made potato salad in this house in years. We just get it pre-made from our local Wegmans store. Dad remembers his mom making some kind of aspic, but doesn't remember what she put in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom makes a potato salad that is pretty plain, passed on from the older generations that our Dad loves too. But your Mom's sounds very tasty with those extra tasties added. We may just have Mom give it a try. And one more thing, Madi, we like eggs in ANY form:)

    Woos- Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your recipe was fabulous - Clowie's was just incredibly gross that people voted for hers! LOL Seriously, I'm glad you like your special badge AND I'm so happy you entered the contest - it was TONS OF FUN! Your Mom's potato salad sounds delish but she's not an "egg eater" (nor am I) so she makes 'tater salad like your Mom only without the eggies!

    Love and Hugs, Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Madi I sure would like to try boiled eggs! They sound delicious to my palate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You like boiled eggs? We need to try them!

    Hugs,
    your guy Raz and The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that you put relish and eggs in your potato salad, please make some more and I will be right over! Cody too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mom made potato salad just the other day!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Madi. your Mom's potato salad sounds delish. Mom is too lazy, er, busy to make her own, so she gets hers at the Food City store deli-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I didn't know that you loved boiled eggs so much, Madi! That potato salad sounds delicious!!!!! You are a lucky kitty, Madi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMD!!!! GURL, I loves them too! I am not surprised you likes them too, cause you gots good taste! Your Moms potato salad looks DELISH!!!! Ma makes hers like that except she doesn't add onions (she can't have them, at least not fresh). And she likes LOTS of mustard! She calls hers Mustard Potato Salad! She says it's good, butts I have never gotten any...meanie. Anyhu, I am glads you and your peeps are doin' FABulously, and sorry I've been scarce!!!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. That does look like good potato salad. My Mom is bringing hers over tomorrow for a bbq. I will pass on the other recipe :) Mine didn't win either, but it was fun. XO

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love potato salad and usually make enough to feed an army. LOL! The boys eat a boiled egg every day with their breakfast. ☺ We are going to join the fun on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a huge lover of potato salad and I can tell just by looking at that tater salad that it would be delicious! Not so sure about the second recipe... Ha! I have a bowl similar to your Mom's potato salad bowl but it is teal blue and it was my Grandma's. It is going to make the trip to Florida with its two smaller bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The potato salad sounds really good. Tomato aspic does not sound appealing at all.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net