My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Final Tale of Not Earl

Many of you know the tale of our wonderful mailman...
Not Earl...if you don't here it is again.



Our mail man story:  Not Earl has been our mailman for nearly 26 years. Until about 10 years ago, my peeps thought our his name was Earl. When Not Earl was gone for some time, Dad finally asked the substitute mailman if Earl was sick?  He said, do you mean Tony?  Dad said, Oh, His name is "Not Earl"?
The substitute said no it is Not Earl, it is Tony.
From that day forward the peeps still call him (not to his face) "Not Earl"!
My peeps don't think he looks like a Tony.
Every time mom tells this story I ask her what a Tony looks like.
I never get an answer.
MOL MOL MOL

Friday, August 31, 2018 Not Earl Retired after 33 years with the 
United States Postal Service...26 of those years he was our extraordinary mail man.
Our neighborhood decided to send him off with a BANG
We decorated our mailboxes in his honor on Friday.
Mom rode around the 'hood taking photos of the mailboxes that were decorated by 10 am on Friday.
She wanted to prepare photos for Not Earl to have when he delivered our mail at 1.

Here they are and OMCs there were so many adorable boxes and some even had themes!!
Our box is the first one in upper left corner.  Mom had a whirly gig on it, a sign on the side of it and curly-cue ribbons on the box door.



Middle one on the top row kind of amused us.  A retired SBI (State Bureau of Investigation) agent lives there.
We could not read the sign.  Mom is purrty sure it was encrypted just for Not Earl.  Bottom left corner was tropical theme.
The box looked as if it was wearing a grass hula skirt. 

Mom especially loved the
'rain, sleet or snow we hate 2 see Tony Go'
2nd row 2nd photo is the Traveling Gnome.  Maybe they are wishing Not Earl lots of fun travels.


We never got a chance to tell Not Earl, the name story but I know real Tony would
have loved it.
Mom also submitted the 'rain, sleet or snow, we hate to see Tony go' photo
to our local TV station WRAL.  The weatherman Mike has an amazing pic of the day photo
every day.  We thought it would be quite appropriate for is pic on Friday.

32 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know "Not Earl" but this has to be one of the sweetest things I have ever seen. I am crying over your mail carrier! Haha! Thank you for sharing your lovely neighborhood. What a great bunch of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved the "Not Earl" story ever since I first read it. Your neighborhood gave him an amazing send-off. That was so sweet! I hope that your photo gets on TV!!!!!!!

    We had an unexpected full 3 weeks without internet. I am so glad to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so wonderful, we had even to sniffle some tears away.... and we hope that Not Earl has a wonderful time, maybe with a cruise to tropical islands? we say thank you too that Not Earl brought our mails to you and that he was a part of your life for 26 years.
    OMG you have a super hood Madi, it's great to see how people do something good together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SO awesome, and I can only imagine what Tony (not Earl) must have felt seeing all these mailbox tributes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We know that every single one of those beautifully decorated mailboxes brought smiles to Not Earls face. He was sure loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have always loved the "Not Earl" story and what an extraordinary gift this was for the whole neighborhood to say goodbye to Tony after so many years of faithfully delivering the mail to you all. I think this is something he will NEVER EVER forget. Bravo to all of you for recognizing this dedicated guy - I think he loved all of you as much as you loved him!

    Hugs, Pam and Teddy too

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very sweet! I clicked to enlarge each collection of pictures. He must have been surprised and so thankful! Hate to see the "not Earl" story come to and end. But glad he gets to retire! Hope the weather guy uses your photo! This is such a great post this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I imagine Tony (Not Earl) was very touched by all you postal customers. What a great thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed all the stories of not earl, and last week, I was talking to a big lizard and I called him Not Liam because he was in Liam place. I intended to do a post about not Earl and not Liam but forgot it. what a grand and wonderful send off for your mail man..

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was so very sweet and we sure wish Not Earl all the best and a most happy retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great send off for Not Earl Tony.
    I wonder if he knows there's a wire fox terrier in Scotland wishing him a Long and Happy retirement.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We think that is so cool! We're sure Not Earl really appreciated it. For some odd reason, it made Mom leaky eyed to see how your neighborhood got together like that!

    Hugs, you guy Raz and The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's always been a great story. That was so sweet of your neighborhood to go all out for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great send off for Not Earl! That is so very special!
    Cammie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a grreat send-off for Not-Earl! I know he appreciated it so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That was so kind of everyone to do all that for their retiring mailman!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a very sweet thing for your neighborhood to do!!! Not Earl sounds like everyone's dream mailman. We send our wishes for him to have a wonderful retirement and to be blessed with a Not Earl type mail carrier too.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a lovely send off for Not Earl from your neighbourhood. He must feel very touched to know how popular he is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful thing to do. Most people just ignore postmen/women.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing! Your whole neighborhood is so creative. I bet Not Earl was moved to tears. That was so sweet of you all to do that for him.XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great way to celebrate all those years of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great send-off for Not Earl ! We hope he enjoys his retirement !

    ReplyDelete
  23. How fun that all of you gave Not Earl such a great send-off. Having him as your mailman for 26 years is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this has to be the most fun, thoughtful and cool send off EVER!! I bet "Not Earl" LOVED THIS!!! How lucky you were to have one extraordinary postal carrier for so many years!! this is so much fun! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a special day for Not Earl!!
    hug
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOWSA!!! What a nice tribute for Not Earl!! I bets he loved it, and will remember it furevers!!! I wish we had such a FABulous Not Earl here!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  27. We bet "Not Earl" was touched by his send off. You have been lucky to have the same mailman for all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sure Not Earl's face was wet before he got through the neighborhood. As a child, I had a mail carrier (Louis) with children my age, and who lived on a farm. He - with my Mom's permission - took me for a whole day to play with his kids and even ride his horse! Then he accepted my big Peking duck when it was time to let her "leave the city." Mailmen - and women - can be amazing. (Yes, it was a different world back then.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. what an amazing thing to do..... the neighbors really pulled it all together for not earl; guaranteed he loved this and I hope he got photos of each box !!! this is a type of kindness you don't see much of anymore...984 paws UP to everyone !! :) ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great neighbourhood. Do you know I have never in my adult life even been able to pick my mail carrier out of a line up?

    ReplyDelete
  31. We get a new mail delivery person daily, so this is really amazing to me! I hope Tony enjoyed the decorated mailboxes!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh!! What a touching story that brought tears to my eyes and fond memories of our mailman when I was a child!!!!! Tony (not Earl) must feel SOOOOOO appreciated!! So very, very thoughtful of your neighborhood.

    I grew up 1/2 of my childhood in the mts of NC, and miss it for things like this story. Never would happen in the state I'm stuck in now.

    Behr's mom

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net