My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

In Purrsuit of Flavors

I thank Da Phenny and Chef Shoko for 
hosting.
This month we are featuring
TUMMY WARMERS


Today I'd like to share two loved and tried and true recipes with you.

Kitty Wells Spanish Bean Soup and homemade cornbread





Kitty Wells’ Spanish Bean Soup **

4 cans garbanzo beans (we use Navy or Great Northern) rinsed and drained. 
First time I made it I used garbanzo. We didn’t like the consistency they are kinda hard.  I now only use Navy or G. Northern.
1 medium onion chopped
1 package of Polish kielbasa, I use Healthy Choice Turkey sausage
3 or 4 medium potatoes chopped
44 oz diced tomatoes.
Salt and pepper to tasted

Directions:
Her recipe is in a 4 qt pot on stove top.  I used crock pot
I put ingredients in as follows:
Kielbasa, potatoes, and onions followed by tomatoes
After all ingredients are in in qt pot or cp, add water to cover all the ingredients and fill the pot.
If on the stove top bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer on low heat for 1 hour or until potatoes are done
If in crock pot, I cook on high for 1 hour.  Stir  to mix after an hour on high, then switch to low for 4 to 4  ½ hours, check potatoes. 

MADI’S MOM’S MARVELOUS CORNBREAD
(this recipe was in my head only, until my SIL asked me
to write it down so they could make it at home)

  
Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup self-rising yellow or white cornmeal (I use House of Autry)
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup plus 1 ½ tablespoons buttermilk (this is the secret ingredient)
PAM baking spray
1-8” Pyrex pie dish (or whatever you have close to this size)


Mixing Directions:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a medium bowl, crack egg then beat lightly. Add oil, and buttermilk to egg. Stir until mixed.  Add cornmeal and sugar.  Stir until completely mixed.

Cooking: Spray entire baking dish with PAM, pour cornmeal mixture into baking dish.  Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until light brown on the bottom and the sides of the baking bread pull away from side of dish.  You may also test with at cake tester in the middle.  Tester should come out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes before cutting.  I cut it into
8 slices like a pie.  Serve with butter.   If there are leftovers, you can warm in microwave for about 15 or 20 seconds.

Served hot with butter or as Sis of Madi likes it as dessert with honey drizzled over it.

** Kitty Wells was a very famous country singer from back in the '60's.  I found this recipe in
Country Weekly Magazine (kinda like People Magazine) many years ago.

21 comments:

  1. This dinner looks so yummy and will definitely warm your tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a fantabulous combination!!!! it really fits so great... and we can even smell the fresh bread when it comes out of the oven ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dinner is sure to warm your tummy. Thanks for sharing. You cornbread recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those both sound yummy wonderful! The Dad remembers Kitty Wells and had some of her records.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, sounds good. Gail is prompted to dig out her cornbread recipe from her time in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just emailed this to myself because I have all the ingredients that you mentioned here available in the house right now and this is something easy to make and sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm sure my Mom and Dad's tummies would be super warm after having this meal - Mom loves cornbread and tries all the recipes she sees so count on it happening here too!

    Hugs, Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm coming over for some of that soup. Looks amazing.

    Have a fabulous day, my friend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds yummy! Mom missed this month because of Blogblast for Peace.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a very hearty soup for a cold fall or winter day. Mom says your cornbread sounds so tasty, and she likes Marilu's idea of making it a dessert with honey:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great. Thanks for the recipe. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my...the that soup sounds soooo perfect for a crisp fall day and I finally copied your corn bread recipe to use this year!! Nom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, nows you gots Ma droolin'.....gross
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dad loves cornbread so this will be something we try Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both dishes sound amazing! I am going to attempt a keto cornbread to prepare for stuffing. I LOVE cornbread!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net