My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Happy Tuesday Tale: Two Quilting projects

 Hosted by Comedy Plus  

I finally finished the hexagon project that I first showed you here...it was supposed to be a Christmas tree skirt.  Made from 60 of the hexagons. After making 9,  I quickly nixed the idea of 60.  What a tedious project.   This collage shows some of the process.  

 I made 31- hexagons.  Each one had to be folded and pinned on 6 sides, stitched down. All 31 had to be stitched together. I had to stand up to do the folding.  Even with my waist high sewing/craft table...I was achy in my shoulders and lower back.  I did it in spurts.  Anyway I made an executive decision it would be a Christmas throw for the back of the couch.

Finished project.  I still have 5" precut festive squares and  about 1/2 yard of the cardinal and holly fabric.  I will make use of it in a less tedious and back breaking project.
26"x21"


Summer of 2019 my neighbor and her sister commissioned me to make 2 Memory quilts using their Mom's blouses. This was my first project for someone else. I explained that my quilting skills were still very much being developed.  Their only requirement was that I use pieces of each blouse in both of their quilts.
Two quilts completed

Back side the same on both.


Fast forward to 2 weeks ago.  Sadly her sister passed away unexpectedly in June of this year. My neighbor asked me if it would be possible to make the two quilts into one large one. I said absolutely; however, it will be my gift to you in memory of your Mom and Sister.
Needless to say, I didn't want to do any harm either quilt in the process, the blouses are irreplaceable. I knew I had to take them apart but it needed to be as minimally invasive as possible.

SO I EMAILED WALTER AND MILLIE'S MOM CINDY in New York.
Cindy said the best way was to take the edges off to some degree, which I expected. 😱
She sent me a video to watch, which was way passed my skill set.  I did get one excellent idea!!.
Use my walking presser foot, which glides smoothly over thick fabric like quilts.
I took the stitches out on the long border on each quilt.  I joined them together in the middle
using the border from each.  I bought a package of satin quilt binding (like you see on baby quilts).
That became my new center on the back and front.  Using the walking pressure foot I sewed both sides of the satin binding on the front.  I folded it around the back of the quilts then hand stitched 
it down the center on the back.

Presenting my neighbor's new Siamese Quilt
I forgot to measure it but it is huge.
My neighbor and her sister loved them as two.
Now my neighbor has in memory of her Mom and her sister.


Frankie and  Ernie's mom described it best when she saw the photo:
"squares are like a family album of their Mom,
the Satin down the middle looks like a bookmark"!

Front

back


As the saying goes  "idle hands are the devil's workshop".
Neither my hands or my mind have been idle.

27 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    That's the perfect reason to make a quilt, methinks!!! Well done Miss C - though I have to say that a "five sided hexagon" would actually be a pentagon...8~P ... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the memory quilt. Looks amazing. I love the Christmas throw too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really good.
    I have one old quilty blanket that I made when I was in my early teens. I used old bed sheets, night gowns and other stuff to make it and whenever there now is a hole in it somewhere, it will be mended using more old clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly do keep yourself SuperBusy. Love the hexagon throw and the memory quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cecilia you have definitely grown into a master quilter! Bravo for the beautiful job on joining those two quilts. Also I really LOVE LOVE LOVE the Christmas couch throw - no wonder you switched from a tree skirt size to the smaller throw size - you would have gone nuts making a zillion of those hexagons! WELL DONE........

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautifully done quilt joined together for the sister. I think your executive decision was a wise one and it will be festive on the couch for the holidays! Good Morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hexagons and one of them would make a great hot pot holder to pick up a pot. And I love the back throw it's beautiful. What a wonderful quilt and so sorry that she lost her mom and her sister. It really came together really well with the bonding down the middle. I'm trying not to be jealous. I really should find a way to take up learning some kind of new activity

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hexi quilt does look quite tedious. I think you made a good decision to quit before you broke your back. Your twin quilt turned out great. We're glad our mom could help inspire you to come up with a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. You're most talented. I love all the colors.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing so good and they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, using fabric from a loved one's clothes to quilt with...fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely gift, and what great execution!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful solution.....and a memorable gift! You are very talented! My husband has a quilt his Grandmother made just using his Grandfather's shirts! He remembers seeing his Grandfather wearing them. I'd like to take on a project like that! Cheers and thanks for showing us what you have been working on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful memory quilt and I know your neighbor will be very pleased. Loved the Christmas quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful job and a beautiful way to celebrate your neighbor's sister and mother!

    ReplyDelete
  17. C; what AWESOME ...AWE SOME jobs on all the quilts....the memory quilt will be
    treasured for years to come ~~~~~~~~

    ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. The memory quilt is awesome - it holds so many wonderful memories for your friend. And that Christmas hexagon project is going to look beautiful for the holidays.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goodness St. C - THIS twin quilt project would render me bald...pulling my hair out. Truly. But gosh, it a piece of art. You did good on all. Way to go, high 5.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Everything came out great. You are very talented and patient. XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. They look terrific. Your neighbor should be very pleased. A tip of the tail to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, your quilt for your neighbor is incredible. You are such a thoughtful person and artistic quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, that is just FABulous!!!! I loves it!! I am so glads your neighbor loves it too...butts so sorry to hears abouts her sister. I thinks it makes it that much more special.
    BRAVO!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net