My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Thoroughly poetic and Thankful Thursday #5

 Today we join Two  SPOILED CATS  and Wacky Holidays are both about squirrels!!

Angel Sammy and Teddy for their poetic pictorial poem.

Here is our inspiration



 The year was 1956 
I was a big girl of seven
Then one day totally out of the blue
when Daddy came home with a huge box
He told me to guess what he had
I replied, "I haven't a clue".
As he carefully opened the giant  box, 
My mind's eye was busy thinking of all the fun 
I could have playing with that box.
Little did I know that the real FUN would be found
with what was in the box not the Box. 
As Daddy pulled our first T.V. out of the box
I stood in awe.  Daddy set it up
in the living room we talked  about all the things we could see.
Westerns were on back then. 
 Our favorite show was Marshall Dillon and Miss Kitty on Gun Smoke,
I recall seeing many scenes much like this photo.
I heard it was a Saloon which was  a curious word to me.
My untrained ear heard Salon.
I knew all about hair salons and perms 
they made me squirm.
Quickly I learned the second O turned the Salon for your hair
into a Saloon serving beverages strong enough to 
grow hair on your chest. 


Today I'm joining the 

Thankful Thursday hosted by


Saturday, January 30th, I received by first COVID vaccine.
I am very thankful I felt like I won the mega million dollar lottery.
My 2nd vaccine is scheduled for February 22.


21 comments:

  1. that was a super sweet memory! we LOVED gun smoke, my grampy was the biggest fan ever. his dream as a youngster was to go to WY to become a cowboy, but he had 3 kids faster than he got the money for the passage altogether...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your poem and your explanation of the difference between salon and saloon. My earliest TV memories are, naturally for a child of the 1960s in the UK, of the BBC children's programmes - 'Watch with Mother', 'Bill and Ben', 'The Woodentops', and my absolute favourite (because the characters were played by real animals) 'Tales of the Riverbank' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTn6VlUXNA.
    (When one looks at programmes like 'The Woodentops' through a 21st Century lens, the gender stereotyping is quite outrageous and probably contributed to this contrary child growing up with strong feminist leanings!)
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari om
    I too remember the excitement of tne first telly... in our case, 1962. Gunsmoke and The Virginian and Bonanza... but also all the shows Gail mentions... and Dr Who!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! I don't remember when we got our 1st tv. I do remember sitting in front of it on Saturday mornings and watching cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my dad was still watching gunsmoke when he was 90, he loved that show. i have loved westerns my whole life and have watched many movies and read hundreds of boosk. what i thought when i saw this photo was to fancy, not the kind cowboys go to, but rich folks hang out. wow, a tv in 1956.. we got our first one in 1959...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great poem and flash back to your childhood. We love how you learned the meaning of the word saloon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your poem! We can still find Gunsmoke episodes on here. I was an only child in 1956. My brothers hadn't arrived on the scene yet☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was born in 1951 so this rings true with me. The television was there for us to see and I remember my dad telling me to go turn on the television five or ten minutes before we were going to watch a program. Needed to warm up all those tubes.

    Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday, honey. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. ... and it was often a little girls dream to look as pretty as Miss Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun take on that Poetic Thursday photo. Yep we like it. Dad was young back then too. Great thankfuls and we are thankful for you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee! Hee! We love the saloon/salon! Great poem! We are so thankful for our furrends who are getting their vaccinations. It will still be months and months for us in the Great White North! And ghosts...we have loads of ghost towns and there are some ghosts in Greenwood (just down the road). Lots of interesting things have happened here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CRACKIN UP !!!!!!! ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺♥♥

    Quickly I learned the second O turned the Salon for your hair
    into a Saloon serving beverages strong enough to
    grow hair on your chest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a terrific poem and hooray for the Covid vaccine, that's a real win! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a great poem! Glad you got your vaccine. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is ironic. The picture looks like something out of Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's fun learning things about your life. Hope you do well with the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAHAHAHAHAHA...........what a fabulous story and it went nicely with the saloon photo - funny what a difference one little "o" can make isn't it???!! Fabulous job....

    Hugs and love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net