My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Happy Tuesday Tale


We drive by this structure several times a week.  Last week, I remembered I had my camera, so snap snap I went.  My husband grew up about 3 blocks from this area.  I asked him what he remembered about it.  He recalled hearing that way before his time it was a a streetcar/trolley stop.  While doing a bit of detective work on it's past, I also learned the Hayes Barton Area has many other locations where you can find remnants of streetcars and trolley system.

Raleigh's last remaining intact trolley stop

Many people don't realize the stone structure standing on Glenwood Avenue near Hayes-Barton was actually once a trolley stop. Although many Raleighites have said they assumed this structure was a bus stop, this stone structure is one of the only remaining pieces of the trolley system. Details in the stonework date the structure as likely over a century old.  The fact that this is still standing after all these years is proof positive of the fine craftsmanship of the stone building and tile roof.


 Back side 

Many years ago there were rumblings about demolition.  Thankfully
the ranting of Raleighites were louder than the rumbling of developers.
It isn't often the developers lose 

20 comments:

  1. great that it is still there... I love it to watch places I saw a a kid... it's always bitter sweet but worth the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good that the old shelter was kept. There is too much demolition of old buildings just for the sake of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here here for those devoted citizens who cherish history!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful to see the old trolley stop preserved. A happy Tuesday tale indeed. I am just old enough to remember the trolley buses still running in my home city of Nottingham.
    Cheers,
    Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing structure and I love its history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I have never seen a trolley stop before - I love it - it would have been such a shame had it been torn down. We need to honor memories - they remind us of simpler times.

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. they should put a sign on it telling everyone what it is, it is beautiful and i am laughing at the trolley stop from the past and our bus stops currently. most are just a metal bench and some are metal with a metal umbrellas thingy over the bench.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting piece of history you found. We're glad the developers weren't able to knock it down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have fallen in love with the trolley stop... the stonework, the tile roof! I want to tuck in my pocket :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this reminds me of a park pavilion in a way....how cool !!!!
    and it will still be standing another 100 years from now I bet !!
    :) ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're glad it's still standing! What an interesting old building!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to still have a piece of history. XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. There were trolly cars running when our Dad was growing up then they dug up the tracks and went to buses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a lovely stone building and such history ~ great post and photos ~ thanks, Xo

    Wishing you peace in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A hug and bark for Angel Madi ~ Xo ~ ruff ~ ruff!

    Wishing you peace in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We think it's so cool when structures such as this are saved from the wrecking balls that too often demolish some spectacular pieces of history.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad they left this historic building standing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paws up to the great folks who managed to keep history in place.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net