My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Friday, September 2, 2022

Nature and Feline Friday

  Nature Friday host LLB Gang  and Feline Friday  host Comedy Plus

Mid August we had three glorious fall like days.  I took advantage of them too.  I took several long treks thru the 'hood and sat on my back porch enjoying the birds, bees and buttie pillars and a critter from out of space. All of this nature seen from the comfort of my back porch.  

 would like to thank Kit, mom to my furry nephews, for identifying this critter.
using the Insect ID app on her iPhone.
Red Footed Cannibalfy a type  Robberfly



When I was snapping the photos below,  I just knew it was going to eat me so I didn't get very close.  We have never ever NO never seen anything quite like this.   I was happy to read this: Like all flies, the Red-footed Cannibalfly lacks a stinger and cannot sting, but it can bite in defense or if handled roughly.


 Insect ID app says it’s this, also know as bee panther! 🙀

A type of Robberfly, the Red-footed Cannibalfly is an aerial predator. It beats its long wings so quickly that an audible buzz is often the precursor to seeing it whiz by in a blur. I can 100% verify that sentence.  It buzzed by me so quickly I ducked my head.  This terrifying speed allows it to snatch other flying insects right out of the sky. 

Tremendous size and leg strength coupled with a chemical-laced bite, allow it to easily subdue prey that may be larger than itself. The Red-footed Cannibalfliy can catch grasshoppers and other big insects, but it is more often seen with bees, wasps, and other flies in its possession. The bite injects quick-acting enzymes that help liquefy internal parts, making them easier to ingest. This carnivorous fly may be seen clinging to window screens, tree bark, or fences while it takes its meal. Between catches, the Red-footed Cannibalfly rests on a twig, branch, or other perch that allows it to visually scan the air for passersby. Once spotted, it zooms to its next meal.



Listen and watch for Red-footed Cannibalflies from the middle to the end of the summer when food options are plentiful. Areas like meadows, gardens, and woodlands, which act as homes to a variety of insects, are great places to find this type of Robberfly.

We have lots of buttie pillars (Princess Leah if you are reading thank you for teaching me this new word). However I've never seen one land the tray on the bird feeder.  I tried several times to snap a photo from behind it while the wings were fully opened.  There was a beautiful shade of blue there.



I saw this  'hood tuxie lounging under the bench on an early morning trek 3 or 4 blocks from our house.
It looks purryt comfortable.  I think maybe this is his/her territory



18 comments:

  1. Buttie pillars. I can't WAIT to have a chance to use this in a conversation!!!!!
    That bug on the other hand is a whole different thing. I can wait forever before I ever see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is an interesting fly... and we like the name... while reading we had the bumble bee guy in our mind..... no idea why LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a large and scary looking fly! The cat looks very comfortable under his bench.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    What a fascinating, if slightly trauma-inducing insect!!! Thanks for sharing that with us (you know I am a bit of a bug geek, among all my other geeks, right?!!) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an interesting instinct. I don't think we have them in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly would not be happy if that cannibalfly was ever buzzing around her! I see these kinds of butterflies around my butterfly bushes but I've never been able to snap a picture of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selfishly, Gail and I are just hoping that the Cannibalfly does not make it across the Pond and start dissolving internal organs over here...
    Er, Happy Nature Friday...
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful or handsome Tuxie. I was about to say send us a couple of the Cannibalflys to eat our bugs, but realized we have enough bugs that can sting or bite. have never seen one or heard of one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw on the kitty. They can claim their space very nicely.

    Love the fly. That thing is huge and a bit scary. They work hard for their meals.

    Thank you for joining the Feline Friday Blog Hop.

    Have a purrfect Feline Friday and weekend. Big hug, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sure looks like a scary fly. We're glad to see that its territory doesn't reach this far north. It sure is funny to see that buttie pillar on the seed feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything that has the word "cannibal" in its' name is something I wanna stay away from!! Nice it wears red shoes though. We have seen more butterflies than EVER EVER before this summer. Angel Sammy loved to chase them - Teddy would rather just watch!

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting bug. That's a pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being up high, not many bugs are seen any more, but these are quite spectacular ~ as is your header photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You probably know that we love to look at and learn about amazing insects. Thanks for posting it. We've seen a few butterflies. Our garden always has some milk weed plants for any passing Monarch butterfly.

    I wonder what that pretty kitty's name is?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sure looks like a stinger on his butt to me. XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoah...that cannibalfly does look like it came from outer space! I wonder if he eats mosquitos?!

    Such an adorable little Tuxy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dang, seriously, we had one of those huge flies here yesterday. I was in the ferals big water bowl trying to swim and not having much luck. I went out and saved him and he went on his merry way. Maybe he's headed to your place to meet his buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That might be the scariest non stinging bug I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net