My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Saturday Symmetry on NC Art Museum grounds.

The Replogle Family Patio on the grounds of the 

NC Art Museum 

The name Replogle has been synonymous with globes since the company’s founding in 1930.  The company is named after founder Luther I. Replogle, a onetime school supplies salesman that saw a need for globes in every home.

Luther and his wife Elizabeth Replogle, known as “Rep” and “Bets”, started the company in their apartment and an adjacent basement with $500 borrowed from friends.  After a rocky start during the dawn of the Great Depression, the new company’s first big break came when the eminent Chicago retailer, Marshall Field and Company (Now part of Macy’s) selected Replogle to produce a globe for the Chicago Century of Progress World’s Fair in 1933.

Click here to read more about the Family 

What I am not clear on, is the Replogle family connection to NC Museum Art. Probably some donations made toward the construction. 


The rest of the Patio...the New Visitor's Center


I love the cup shaped rain gutters.




13 comments:

  1. The cup shaped rain gutters are very unusual and look so much more attractive than a standard down pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THose are the darndest rain gutters EVER! Love those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    What an interesting history... and the downpipes are fabulous! I imagine they will be fun to watch - almost like water features! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting bit of trivia about the globes. Now those are some gutters to be proud to display! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The artistic gutter is truly eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom has always wanted to get rain chains like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the gutter cups are amazing. Now i am wondering how I lived my whole life without a globe? ha ha.. also wondering about my family because none of us had a globe. Now we carry the globe in our phone. I do remember that every library had several for us to look at, but I was not interested like I am now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another interesting trip to your favorite park. The Replogle family history was interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's someone who lives across the street and down a few houses from us that has an interesting rain gutter - not cups - looks like a bell with a ring around it but I'm told when rain falls on it, it has tones like music. Pretty cool. I may see if I can find that online.

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like those rain gutters too. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to see them in action to see what they look like.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks very smart, and interesting. A new day in architecture.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net