Thankful Thursday hosted

Angel Sammy, Chef Teddy and Mom are still w/o internet so today.
I will share some thankfuls about many on the wonderful international
friends I met while working at N. C. State University.
We had several from East Germany
Today I'll tell you about Chris P. His stay at NCSU was the first time he had ever been of our East Germany. He was so eager to learn everything he could while in NC.
He lived near NCSU so he walked to campus each morning.
One day he came into my office to show the most amazing 'thing' he found on the sidewalk.
He asked if I knew what it was.
He asked if I knew what it was. I said yes that is a flower Pod from a Southern Magnolia tree.
I asked if there was a tree near by with shiny leaves. Yes he said.
I told him in the spring the pods open up into a most glorious and sweetly scented white flower.
The lesson I learned from Chris and all the international visitor was to enjoy all the splendor of
'everyday things'. The following he came to my office with a bouquet much like this.
After getting his Master's Degree in Physics, Chris received an invitation to travel to
New Zealand to study for his PhD. His field of interest was 'blue ice'. While studying in
New Zealand, he took several expeditions to
Antarctica. He now lives in Norway.
************************************
Franz from a small village in Austria near the Black Forest.
Another delightful young man. He had a MAD love for
John Deere tractors. He was over the moon happy when he found out there was a website where he could order John Deere hats, shirts, and hightop tennis shoes that were yellow with green shoelaces.
Seeing the joy on Franz's face once again reminded me to appreciate the small things.
Franz was always early to work (which was unusual for grad students). He came to my office most days around 7:30 to have a cup of coffee and chat. While at NCSU Franz received his MS in Physics. He received an offer at Arizona State University.
Love the memories of Chris & Franz! I’m certain you made a lasting impression on them too! Did they have trouble with your sweet southern accents? 🥰
ReplyDeleteYou got to meet those young men; I think they saw you as another mother...I have had 'other parents' too when I was working in places far away from my own. Thank you for being there for them!
ReplyDelete