My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Tuesday shirt Tale

Recently, I took my portable Singer sewing machine out of the closest.
Dusted off my sewing table, set up the table and unpacked the machine.
I'm happy to report it still sings like a Singer too, even after years of neglect by me.
I have been sewing since I was about 9. Annie Ma (maternal grandmother) 
had seven children.  First five were two to three years apart.  There was a gap of about six years.  


When she was 42 and 44, surprise she had #s  six and seven,  my Aunt Ruth and my Mom was the seventh.  Annie Ma never had time to teach her daughters to sew.  I'm told, when they were young, she would look at dresses in the store windows, go home cut patterns out of newspaper and make dresses.  My cousin Carol and I were the only granddaughters who inherited 
Annie Ma's sewing DNA.
My formal sewing instruction started in ninth grade.  I signed up for Home Economics.
It was probably one of the best decisions of my teen years.  None of my friends were particularly interested.  Miss Kilby, my teacher, was fresh out of college and an eager beaver to teach.
I cannot tell you how very very much I learned in Home Ec. I looked forward to every class and I also became her teacher's assistant.
I took Home Ec all four years of high school.  I won several awards including my 
senior year when I made my prom dress.  I made most of my daughter's clothes up
until she was six.  I retired from sewing and went back to work full time.
I've made a  few things over the years most bathrobes for myself and my daughter.
Blankets for my parents, and decorative pillows and simple curtains.

I've been noticing some darling tops in the store windows... I knew I could make them with one eye closed and less expensive......I thought. LOL I have not  bought patterns or fabric in years.
I found the perfect pattern by McCalls #7359 (pictured below).
It is just a pattern for four variations of this top.  Dang pattern was $19.99.  Last time I bought a 
pattern it was 2.99.  Only Vogue was expensive back then, maybe about 10.99.



I was still in shock over the pattern; however, I looked at fabric, found two bolts  of very nice quality fabric in a pretty spring lavender print  and a contrasting color.  One was $11.99 and one $15.99 a yard I needed 1 1/8 yards of both. I nearly fainted right there in Jo Ann's.  The pattern and the fabric would have $55.00 plus tax.
Granted I could have found cheaper fabric but I was still struggling with paying $19.99 for the pattern.
 I LEFT empty handed and much wiser.  Thanks to GiGi Google I found this exact pattern being offered by several folks on eBay but they were used.  I found one unused for for $7.99. Checked put in my shopping cart lickety split.  The pattern will be here next week. 
In the meantime, I learned that Super Walmart still has a fabric department.
I'll be checking it out for fabric.....

This story will be continued..............




33 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I can't wait!!! In a similar vein, when I picked up my crochet hooks again it was quite the shock to find the cost of pattern books and yarn. Thank heavens for the inheritance of homespun from my mother and my tendency to just loop the yarn and see what happens!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow we give you standing ovations for being your own designer ;O) the mama would love to have a hand for sewing, but her experiences ended with a letter from her teacher to her pawrents: your daughter is not able to produce even one useable work piece this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I know, I KNOW!! Nothing's cheap in the world of sewing these days...even thread. Can't wait to see the next segment in this return to being the domestic goddess.

    Ps...I too, had & LIVED Hone Ec.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was at school and through my teens I used to make a lot of my own clothes. Nothing elaborate, just day to day dresses and blouses and even the occasional pair of trousers.
    Then in my 20s I went to work for Clark's Shoes. Using a sewing machine 8 hours a day 5 days a week put me right off dress making in my spare time.The money was good, they were the best payers around, but it didn't have the job satisfaction of my previous job working for a vet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patterns and fabric have gotten ridiculously expensive. I took Home Ec classes for 2 years and loved it! I can't wait to see your beautiful creation, Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with this! I look forward to seeing the end results. They will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a fun project. I never did get into sewing, knitting but not sewing. It is all fun to do. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have any machines like that here, no singers either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just typed a really long comment and poof it was gone. hope this is not a repeat. Home ec was forced on me, I hated every minute of it. cooking and sewing. ack... I love this pattern and is one I would use if I could sew. no wonder clothing cost so much now. the price is scary... have fun with your new pattern and I was a McCall in my distant past

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom used to sew too. She's amazed that patterns cost that much!!!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on starting up your sewing machine again. The real trick to buying fabric at Joann's is to sign up for their coupons. You can get them by text, email or snail mail. I do all three. There are always coupons for 40% off regular price. If the fabric is on sale then you don't get the 40% so it's best to keep your eye on what is on sale. I never pay full price for anything at Joann's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Momma says, "Why buy it in a store for $20 when you can make it yourself for only $100 in craft supplies?" Something tells me she's been there. BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can’t wait to see your shirt. Good deal on getting your singer out and working on some projects

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never had the sewing gene. My mother did and made me dresses for school. Very pretty dresses. I had no idea how expensive things have gotten. Wow.

    Back to Home Economics. I was terrible. I couldn't cook, sew or any other thing gals should do. I'm sure the teacher thought I'd be a terrible wife. That was the way of things back then.

    Have a fabulous day, my friend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mother sewed everything, and what she didn't sew for us, she knitted or crocheted! Six kids, two adults on one salary...hand-me-downs were everything too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My ghostwriter says she used to do a lot of sewing when the 4 siblings were little. She also liked home economics in school but doesn't think they teach it anymore. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We can't wait to see the finished shirt - Mom would love to do that too but those dang sleeves would really be a challenge for her:)

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, it might not surprise you to learn that Gail was not one of those who took to home economics...
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. my gram and mom both sewed; me; failed miserably at it. I can remember going to the fabric store tho with mom; BE JEZUZ as da tabbies would say; the price of the pattern is insane.....no joke...I'd be tempted to buy some heavy duty tissue paper and draw and cut out your own.... !! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm afraid a grade of D on my gathered skirt in Junior High School dampened any thoughts I had for sewing. (I think the D was because I did hand in material, sort of in a skirt shape.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, patterns and fabric are VERY expensive now! My mother used to make all of my clothes (I used to DETEST all things sewing and did not take Home Ec, I took Drafting instead) but nowadays, it would be too expensive.
    I'm glad I bought enough quilting fabric when we lived in Korea to last a lifetime. Sure, I've supplemented it since, but only for some "must haves".
    I hope you'll show us your finished top!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  22. I took cooking in high school...but never home ec. My Mom used to make our clothes when my sister and I were young...but I never had the urge. I hope you find some affordable fabric, I cant wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Grandma taught me how to sew by hand - clothes for my Barbies. But I've always regretted that I never learned to use a sewing machine. In elementary school, many of my clothes were made by my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so impressed. All I can make is catnip mats.I love my new Brother sewing machine, the bobbin is top loading which makes it much easier to thread. XO

    ReplyDelete
  25. Crazy isn't it how much patterns cost these days. Glad you found it cheaper and we look forward to seeing the finished project. My mom was a seamstress and made a lot of our clothes when I was little. I took home ec too and learned to sew
    hugs
    PL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing what EVERYTHING costs these days.....who knew though that a pattern and material COULD cost at least as much and in many cases WAY MORE than getting an almost exact duplicate already made in a store for SO MUCH LESS!!!!! But it's the pride of making something yourself - and I bet you will be the SEWING QUEEN before long. Kind of like riding a bike - once you "know" that sewing machine you can hop back on and ride any time you want to!

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  27. I did not like Home Ec in high school and the Home Ec teacher was a social friend of my parents. Half way through my first year she asked me if I wouldn't like to take art or something else that was more of my interest... Hahaha! I am looking forward to seeing your completed project... :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. My mom is the oldest of 7 and they came in two bunches: the first four when my grandparents were young and then the second three when they were in their late thirties/early forties.

    My mom is quite the seamstress and even made her wedding dress and all her bridesmaid dresses. She tried to teach me to sew but I was a disaster and I think she gave up. LOL!

    Good for you for getting your sewing machine out again. Look forward to seeing your completed project!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made a lot of my little boys' clothes, as well as all our Halloween costumes, and stopped when these price jumps happened. It was cheaper to buy them
    Like you, I found some cute patterns for Xena on Ebay and affordable fabric at Hobby Lobby (on sale).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Around here patterns are half off...I think it's the only way they can sell them. I think patterns and fabric are so expensive now because sewing is a dying hobby. I always watch for sales and signed up for their coupons.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can sew when I have to but found out it is usually cheaper and less aggravating to just go buy clothes. Sewing dog bandanas, curtains, and lace on hand towels is about as exotic as I get these days. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, those prices are ridiculous makes me glad I stopped sewing many years ago. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net