My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Friday, September 27, 2019

Final Friday Fiction Nature Friday

Today I'm pawticipating in Final Fiction Friday

Hosted by YAM-Aunty
this is a blog hop link is above.

What I did on Summer Vacation
by Cecilia

My words are from:

Left Holding the Bag: A quilting Cozy
by Carol Dean Jones...Aunty to Teddy, One Spoiled Cat

Page 87:  
line 8:  rotary cutter 
line 12:  a rather embarrassing question
line 16:  quiet for a moment

In May of 2019, I decided to dust of Sassy Singer.
It was time to rekindle my love of sewing.
I took Sassy in for a tune up.  When I brought her home,
Sassy and I sang many duos. 

It was time to do what I have wanted to do for at least 25 years...
learn how to quilt.  I find a simple quilt pattern.
I took my list of items I would need to JoAnn's.
As I was wandering around the quilting supplies,
I finally found a lady who did not appear to be too busy and who, hopefully, would not laugh at me.
I needed to ask her a rather embarrassing question.
I explained that I was trying to teach myself to quilt and I needed a 
little help finding things. I showed her my list. She was quiet for a moment, 
She looked up at me with a very kind smile and a twinkle in her eyes as she said
GOOD FOR YOU!!
The lady helped me find everything on my list...as I was about to check out 
she asked if I had a *rotary cutter and a **self healing cutting mat.  I might have looked like
a deer staring into headlights.  She said no worries follow me.
Long story short I made my first quilt


Followed by at least '87' more...don't worry I won't make you look at them again.
Anyway I perfected working with pre-cut squares, borders, binding and backing.
As the hot summer progressed, it became obvious I was gonna need lots of 
inside projects.  I decided to make a small sample quilt of all the things I learned summer 
2019.  BUT I learned one more new thing...working with angles and shapes of different sizes.

Newest quilts
1.
I really wanted to learn the the **Churn Dash pattern
(*rotary cutter pictured below white handle, FYI the rotary cutter is SHARP
**self healing mat is the gray mat below, when you cut on it the cut magically disappears)


Once I made the churn dash sq....Of course I needed to incorporate it in to a quilt.
 I decided to use all the things I have learned this summer.

Top and bottom row kitty 5" squares
**Churn Dash in the center: aquas prints, dark pink
Prairie Point triangles on the rosy pink
Lastly I learned how to do a self fabric border which is 
made from backing fabric.

I am very proud of my 70 year old brain.  I give myself an E for EFFORT.
So that is what I did on Summer Vacation.  
WHAT did you do.

My think I might hang this sample quilt.  I need to look into hanging methods

2.
I also taught myself how to make hourglass quilt blocks

Gray kitties on the back of the hourglass quilt

My little fingers are pointing out the hourglass blocks above.
3.
I finished number 3 on September 22...the
last day of Summer 2019

I call it POINTS

You will recognize the red and white fabric.
It was in my very first quilt.
I decided to create something I have been seeing in
My Mind's Eye using up the remainder of the red and white fabric.
I made the 4 center squares with no purpose for them at the time I finished
I bought the red, white and blue star fabric for the back
and navy for the border.
I now have a quilt to use at most major holidays.
This will be used for July 4, Memorial Day and Veteran's Day

 This one is  mish mash of things I've learned
and some things I've learned not to do again (LOL).
I have a few **humility squares.  
They are on a need to know basis...I don't think anyone needs to know
unless they find them. LOL


** "Humility Square" is the one quilt square that Puritans or Amish quilters purposely created imperfectly in their quilts.  

The white stitching you see on the back is little stars




Elkin City Park.  A lovely short trail near our friend's home in Western NC.



21 comments:

  1. Wow! We had no idea there was so much terminology involved in quilting! But then Gail says she has been riding a bicycle for half a century and can still go into a bike shop and not know the name of the part she is trying to replace!
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's amazing what good things you can buy to make your work easier... that mat sounds interesting... we wish we had heard about it before we ruined a glass table... that table is sadly not self healing LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    applause applause!!! A wonderful offering for FFF this week (and for NF). Bravo Miss C, you have excelled... and I LOVE that last quilt!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your story! The quilts with triangles are more challenging and you nailed it! Your quilts are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the people working at your JoAnn's know a thing or two. Last time I was in one locally, I felt like I knew more than the employees and that's really really sad. I don't have technique ... I just find a way. With LOTS of humility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rotary cutter and mat are the best thing since white bread when sewing and cutting out fabric. Love all your quilts. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. and your summer vacation will live on and on and on and on, i like these two quilts best of all, the burgundy one is my colors. i do love burgundy... they are both beautiful. i had no idea all the terminolgy involved and never heard of any of this. i just see a quilt and think i like that. i had no idea what is involved. watching you and Rose is a real education and one i will never attempt

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure be very happy with your quilting success, they are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing a great job with your quilts Cecilia. Working with triangles is not easy as the fabric stretches on the bias and you have wonderful matching points. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You have been keeping extra busy with your quilting. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilts are amazing!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilts are beautiful. Very beautiful. I know making these make you happy.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, my friend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. your quilts are beautiful C; the recipients of said will be happy to have them; I have one my great ...maybe great great .....gran made.. and it's so fragile I'm afraid to pick it up off the chair it sets in.... :) ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful FFF!! We really enjoy seeing all your quilts, never stop showing them!

    What a beautiful waterfall you found too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are really 'branching out' now with different shapes! They look fabulous. And a great way to spend those hot, summer days (or very cold days). Friends usually tie tabs...cloth loops, or ties on the top and loop through dowelling to hang on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilts are lovely and you are to be applauded for teaching yourself so well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have really put a lot of effort into this! I'm very impressed by the results.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have done an amazing job with all of these. I am very impressed! XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are amazingly fast and an amazingly fast learner. Those sure don't look like they were done by a "beginner," or over just one summer. we're all proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness! You are churning out the quilts like a factory! Isn't it fun? I'm sure you could open your own quilt shop if you wanted to. Love all the colors and designs. Hope you're as proud of yourself as we all are of you!

    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so glad you have found quilting! It looks enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net