My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Sunday Selfies at Wegmans


New header contains photos we took on January 1, 2020
as we sashayed around downtown Raleigh.
You'll be seeing more over the coming days.
Top left an ~ 5 year old condo but it has a look of having been there forever
Top right is the 5 year old Union Station (train) in downtown Raleigh.
Bottom left is a Second Empire a very fancy restaurant.  Originally a grand home, Circa 1879,
Click here for history and to see inside.  

Tall round building behind the  Second Empire has some personal history.
In 1969 it was a very fancy Holiday Inn, it was one of the tallest in DownTown Raleigh at the time.   The 19th floor was a beautiful restaurant.
  One of my husband's groomsmen took us there as a wedding gift.

Bottom Right is The St. Paul A.M.E. Church is a historic American Gothic Revival style African Methodist Episcopal Church located in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Address402 W Edenton St, Raleigh, NC 27603  Opened1884


*************************
Wegmans, a most extraordinary grocery store, opened in
Raleigh in September 2019.  It is 87 kinds of HUGE
Opening day they had ~3,000 people waiting for the doors to open
We let the newness wear off before made our trek 


In the mid 1980's we took a road trip to visit my BIL in Syracuse, NY.
That was the first Wegmans experience.  So we knew to expect B I G!!!
It is spread out over 104,000 square feet one story.
It is built on top of a huge parking deck.  Which keeps shoppers out of
the crazy NC weather.
As we walked toward the
escalator, to take us to the front door.  I wondered out loud 
how in the world a shopper could get their grocery cart down to the deck.
That question was answered.  We saw two folks standing in front of the escalator 
watching as their cart came down the middle section of the escalator for carts only.


The shopping center where Wegmans is located is new.
I thoroughly enjoyed all the art on the buildings.

I have know idea what a blowout is...but I'm hoping something to do with hair



This wrought iron sign was over part of a common area 


I really like the art by the PetPeople store
Now for the selfie part of the post
Two selfies of my hands and Niki the Nikon


I love the sunflower murals
Gracie the Highlander even had a selfie
Do you see her?

Now a few inside photos
Years ago I tried to take some inside photos at Fresh Market...evidently 
the management thought I was trying to 'steal' their display ideas.
They asked me to stop.

I discovered Wegmans has NO PROBLEM with photos
However, it was so crowded, it was hard not to get people in them.
Here are a few:






25 comments:

  1. That was a nice day out. In the collage the old buildings have character and look so much nicer than the new.
    Wegmans looks huge. That is a good idea with the shopping trolleys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had a Wegman's here. What a fabulous store and I love the sunflower murals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic fotos, all of these. what a fun day out. LOVE the train and wow on the cart escalator. the restaurant in the header is GORGEOUS.. love it... and favorite today is that sunflower mural. LOVE LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    What a lovely ramble you took us on! Interesting architecutres and who doesn't love a choo choo??!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom loves Wegmans! The opened one where she lived in NJ a few months before she moved.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great bunch of photos these are. Thanks for sharing them with us all. We've never been in a Wegman's and don't have one around here. Yet. Mom and dad were out your way sort of on the 1st. They did a First Day hike at Carver's Creek State Park, and it was good for them to finally get back out walking and enjoying the fresh air. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're so glad you finally get to experience Wegmans as we have done all our lives. It really is a special place to shop and something I would miss if I ever moved to someplace that doesn't have any. We like all your pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I googled Wegmans yesterday when you mentioned it cause I had no idea what it was and read that it was going to give Publix a run for its business in Florida. From your pictures, it looks fascinating. I am always ready for new FOOD stores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We sure have heard tons of great things about Wegmans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos. I love Wegmans! Unfortunately, the closest to me are an hour away so I have only been a few times. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the tour! We enjoyed it. Wegmans had its humble beginnings here in WNY. We do most of our grocery shopping there, but none of the ones we go to are as fancy as the one you visited. Daughter Jessy, who now lives in S. Florida, really misses Wegmans a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved every word. If Raleigh weren't so far from Charlotte I'd ask Bruce to bring h=me there and see everything you showed us. The roadways between you and Charlotte are the slowest most awful we have been on. We're just grumpy I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! A Train in a grocery store! Too bad that Wegman's are an East Coast chain! Mom would dearly LOVE to see that. We have a grocery store in Midway (we are very lucky). But it is smaller than my Mom's sister's house in Calgary! (it about 8,000 square feet which is tiny)
    We LOVE seeing pictures of your town and all the murals!
    Purrs Marv and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looked at the train schedule betwixt there and "there". 3 1/2 hrs. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always go to Wegmans when in VA--not that I buy much, but it is good for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool photos! We don’t have Wegmans here in Michigan. Though we have some other huge stores.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for exposing us to your beautiful community

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are dedicated and serious shoppers, thank you for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMD, that is one huuuuge store! Ma would get lost for hours in there! Good thingie we don't have the Wegman's here, or I might never see her again! BOL!!! We do, howevers, have that grocery cart escalator in our Target! When or Target opened years ago, some peeps got confused and accidentally sent their cart down the peep escalator (luckily no peeps were on it at the time!), with lots of noise and mess! BOL! Then they put big poles in front so carts couldn't fit, and no more carts down the peep escalators. Anyhu, thanks for the cool tour of your city!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. We can't imagine sending your cart down an escalator!
    hugs
    Mabel & Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh - our Wegman's is on ground floor so no escalator for carts but it is incredibly HUGE and sometimes I feel like I need a little scooter to get around! It's amazing. I think those pastel roses are done by dipping the cut ends in dye - the stems suck the dye up and color the petals! Our Wegmans is such that you could spend the day there and never see the whole thing.

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes, the train head of your family loved that! Wow, oh wow. I want one of those here. You already know we love to go to grocery stores.

    cool pics!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't believe that store didn't allow you to photograph the inside. How rude! Love that wrought iron sign...what a novel concept to advertise the stores. You do have lots of interesting buildings/stores/restaurants around there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net