My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Friday, June 9, 2023

Nature Friday and Friendly Fill ins

 Nature Friday host LLB Gang
Thank you!!

 

On Saturday May 19, 2023 my good friend,  MadSnapper aka Beau's Mom had this photo of a Black Racer Snake slithering in their back yard: 

He was about 3 feet long and no, I don't bother critters. He is a black racer, and we have had them here for 34 years. The largest was about 5 feet long.

Here is my story!!!

It reminded me of my one and only close encounter with a Black Racer.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh S(N)AKES alive that is 100000% a snake.

I really don't like any slithering critter bigger than an worm.  WHY well when I was about 6 y.o. my parents and I went to our friend's lake cabin with them.  The men fished, 

My friend and I were playing on the shore skipping rocks and just having a ball.  All of a sudden a black racer decided he wanted to race us.  Of course, being 6 year old girls we squealed so loud we broke the supersonic sound barrier.  We ran up the hill as fast a greased lightning.  He raced after us.  I expect he won the race but we didn't stay around to congratulate him.  We were in the house with our Moms and and Dads were giggling.


Here are the Friendly Fill-Ins for tomorrow. Ellen  first two and my co-host, Lorianne of Four-Legged Furballs came up with second two.
1. I would search a long time for a good cup of coffee.***
2. The last time I attended school was March 31, 2011 when I retired from N. C. State University.
3. I can’t relax until I have my shower it is my favorite time of day.
4. I knew I needed a hair cut when the hair around my ears looked like I was rocking a Poodle do!!

*** In 2005 we vacationed in Alaska.  Four days on land seven cruising down the Inside passage.  The trip was wonderful but the coffee on the ship was not hot nor good.  First port we stopped in was Skagway.  I was all kinds of happy when I saw a Starbucks!!

15 comments:

  1. I hear you... I would turn into a RACE-car too! what a scary moment!!!! my last adventure with a snake was with a slow worm (ha! the opposite of a black racer so to say) I screamed like an air raid siren till a neighbor came (well actually 6! neighbors) ... they thought I'm near to death or still death or something like that... one removed the as if anaconda and peace was restored...

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you on this: as a teen and a summer (live in) camp counselor was keeping one eye on my campers, while gathering twigs and branches for our nighttime fire. Guess I "disturbed" HIM as he leaped out from under some branches, literally seemed to fly and hit me around the waist ... I raced, he followed. They are fast, always fearful of snakes ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom loves her morning coffee and her relaxing shower too and as she always says, the best kind of snake is a dead one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son David was in a herpetology club when he was 14 and had a pet king snake. I should tell that story. I am scared of spiders, all spiders even tiny ones. but not of snakes as long as they don't have triangle shaped heads. I am afraid of roosters, turkeys, geese all big feathered foul. for the same reason you are of snakes. Good coffee is a must, but I don't like starbucks coffee and not many resturant coffees. I like it strong and used to buy a good cup at Books a Million but have not been there in years. I have only taste 1 cup of starbucks and that ws just coffee, nothing fancy. to cheap to pay those prices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! That was quite a tale to tell about your encounter with a long slithering snake. We're lucky to only have harmless garter snakes around here but they still make me jump and squeal a little when they start slithering right in front of you. We enjoyed your fill-ins too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh I don't like the look of those slithery black racers one tiny bit and am quite relieved that Gail tells me we don't have them in Scotland.
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.
    PS Gail tells me that, based on her January experience, you can search a long time for a good cup of coffee in Cuba...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs to Angel Madi ~ That is quite a 'slithery' creature ~ not many around here ~ Great fill-ins ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...that is one long snake!!!!

    I am still searching for a good cup of coffee here in NM. Don't get me wrong, they have a Starbucks...but I like finding local coffee houses to try...none of them have passed the "good coffee test" yet!
    hugs,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can just see you two girls racing up that hill! We have our share of snakes here. A preserve is our back yard and so we have a lot of critters. Creepiest thing for us is when we find one swimming in the pool. I don't know how the heck they get in the screen enclosure. I scream like a little school girl.
    I am so tickled when you do the Fill-Ins! I don't drink coffee but I would sure be happy to find a pork steak to BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The story of the snake made me laugh. The coffee on cruise ships used to be terrible. It has improved apart from in the buffet. I don't like Starbucks, I like a good strong coffee and we usually go to small independent cafés where they make it as you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snakes creep me out, even little ones. Thank you for participating in the fill-ins, great answers. I must have good coffee too. I always know when my hubby needs a haircut because my mom will tell me he looks like he is sick. XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snakes! Years ago I used to fish professionally. When fishing on the great lakes I sometimes used rubber snakes as bait. I had my fishing gear in the garage and hummm, a rubber snake I forgot to put away. I reached for it and it raised it's head and said I don't think so. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That snake is huge. I would, if I saw it, have to move to Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a long reply yesterday morning and my mouse died an unseemly death. I am finally back this minute!! This is where everything stopped...your blog Opened up to you. And I must be celebrating the occasion, because I am wearing a dress for the first time in ever! Navy blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the mouse died I couldn't hit send. Had to force the computer to shut down, too.

      Delete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net