My Mind's Eye

Remember your Angels are Watching

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Happy Tuesday Tale: What's it?



 I was an inquisitive child, so much so, my uncle called me Nosy Rosy.
Truth be told I'm still inquisitive but thanks to Gigi Google and the WWW
I can answer my own questions.
My Daddy was an electrical contractor.  Sometimes on the weekends, 
when he was preparing estimates for new jobs, he would have to go to the job site to count receptacles.  Luckily he took me along to 'help' by counting behind him.
However I spent more time asking questions than counting. 
After 87 minutes of non stop Q&A, Daddy's reply was 
'it is a thingamajig. or a wiggling pin for a wagging pole".
That didn't answer my question but it made me laugh.
So today I ask you is this a thingamajig or a wiggling pin for a wagging pole


I think it is a  thingamajig. because My Mind's Eye sees a wiggling pin for a wagging pole
as very large.  So on with the story.  Monday, November 5, 2018, while using the ice maker
I heard a most unusual noise.  When I took the ice bin out of the freezer, I found this  
thingamajig on top of the ice.  And................... I also saw that there had been an ice blizzard in my freezer
 There was a sheet of ice all the way down the back of my freezer starting
behind the ice maker.

It was clear the thingamajig must have had something to do with water flow.
It must have popped loose sending the water cascading down the back of the freezer. I turned off the ice maker!!!
  BUT the big
QUESTION
WHERE IN THE HECK DID IT GO?
I called GE service and was lucky to get a technician out on Tuesday, November 6.
Needless to say he was a tad surprised to see the state of the freezer and the  thingamajig.
Yep we were right it is made to guide water from water hose in back of the freezer to
the ice tray.  It goes ....... right here

We had a new ice maker installed on October 9, so there was no charge for the service call.
Next QUESTION was how did he suggest getting the ice out of  the entire freezer.
He suggest gently 'hammering" it but with something not too heavy and or sharp.
He suggested I turn the freezer off while doing it so it would not continue to freeze.
Well My Mind's Eye had the perfect tool.
What better to remove ice with than an

ICE CREAM Scoop


I removed all the racks, put a towel down to catch the ice.  I gently hammered away with the back side of the scoop from top to bottom for about 15 minutes.  All the ice fell to the bottom
I cleaned it up and took time to give the freezer a proper cleaning too



FYI:  Should I find something that I think might be a
wiggling pin for a wagging pole, you'll be the first to know.

Per Gigi Google here is the official definition.

thingamajig is: 1. noun relating to a nonspecific object. 2. noun referring to a specific object of which the user cannot immediately remember the name of.

Click here for more Happy Tuesday

26 comments:

  1. Fridge and freezers all a mystery to me.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh we first thoght your freezer is a samsucker too, but it seems even the smallest thingamajig can be essential for a freezer... our dad used a hair dryer for removing the ice he said that is natural like the melting of the polar ice caps... he was wrong because the ocean is too far away to keep all that water...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari Om
    I immediately thought 'thingamajig' even before reading your own selection; I know about waggling pins, dad had a lot of those in his tool box and bit they were not... they were inclined to be dangerous so we had to keep our hands out!!! &*> Fun post - and am glad you got the freezer overhauled. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever you coming up with the perfect thingamajig to get rid of the ice on the back of the freezer! They say the ice maker is the most common thingamajig to go wrong in our refrigerator/freezers. I believe it. Now I know who to consult should ours ever go awry!

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad we don't have an icemaker. That sounds kind of wild but entertaining. We got a good giggle out of the whole story. You all have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely a thingamajig! When I want to defrost the upright freezer I stand a heater in front of it. Not too close that it could get wet and give me an electric shock though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. add my vote to thingamagig… … that is one of my favorite words since I have so many senior moments. that and whatchamacolic… so glad there was no cost and it was quickly repaired. in the past I used a hair dryer, but I think your way is best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh goodness, what a mess. We never installed our ice maker for ours because one of the major things the hubby works on is water claims from ice makers gone wrong !

    Glad you got it fixed with no damage to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have never had a fancy ice maker but it looks like you handled the thingamajig perfectly, Miss Cecilia! I see ICE CREAM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh. We think wiggling pin is a thing to maybe stay away from, so we're very glad you found the other thingie in your freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun. I've heard thingamajig all my life. We must be from the same stock. What a pain with all the ice, but I'm glad you're back in business.

    Thanks for linking up to Happy Tuesday. This is a happy post indeed.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always wondered how you spell 'thingamajig'.
    I assume the British and American English spellings are the same!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I often find thingamajigs around the house. I even have a few bowls and baskets of them. I don't throw them out because I may need them sometime!


    We have a small freezer in the fridge. When it gets ice, I just turn off the power overnight and then use a putty knife in the morning. Most of the ice just comes off in slabs. Easily done job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't think it was a thingamajigs, I thought it was a simonnewtoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, but I think it's a doohickey!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stuff sure do happen and it is always interesting how it all makes a mess or just plain old gives out. I think you were exceptionally lucky with the repair from what I have heard is the nightmare of ice makers in fridges. Our NEW fridge has an ice maker and it has always partied at night but now it has gotten pretty noisy. I am waiting for the thing to die. Too many doohickeys, thingamajigs, and wiggling pins just waiting to make life complicated. Your Dad must have been a fun Dad! That picture of the freezer is something! I use my blow dryer to melt the ice in the teeny freezer that is in the small fridge that we keep the Duplin in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go C!!! We definitely think you were an engineer in a different life. I would have never have thought to use the ice cream thingy to clean up the mess the thingamajig made BOL!

    peeess...Our Rosy is also very Nosy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. But what about the doojigger and whatchamacallit?

    ReplyDelete
  19. My grandmother always use words like thingamajig, whatchamacallit or whoseewhatsit. Your thingamajig sure made a mess when it broke.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mom says she thinks she has seen that thingimajig or whatever in our freezer too. So glad you got it fixed AND for free. Mom says she already shared her freezer stories with you and how to use a hair dryer to help with the melting")

    We all think you Dad was great - a real wit he was too!!!

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you solved that mystery :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was a thingamajig for sure. Smart way to get the ice taken care of!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  23. Technology is wonderful and makes our lives easier ... until it doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Did you ever have to defrost the freezer before they became frost-free? I used to use a hair dryer and a butter knife to get the ice out of ours. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have always wanted an ice maker but things like this make me not get one when I have a new fridge. (wish I had room for a freezer...tiny house and tiny kitchen).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Agree, that's a definite thingamajig! That's quite a sheet of ice, looks like the back of our house in January. Also, I LOVE that you used an ice cream scoop to chip away at the ice!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a meow or bark for Angel Madi...her assistant (aka Mom) will respond in a timely fashion. =^..^=
Life is short, spend it with those who make you laugh
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” (Leo F. Buscaglia)
TONS OF HUGS
Cecilia and Angel Madi
Email: candb214@att.net